OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
ControllerMate MIDI Port not working with CM's helper?
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
ControllerMate MIDI Port not working with CM's helper? Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:06 am  •   #9305
Noizemaker

If I close CM, My midi commands routed through CM's MIDI port does not work although I know the helper is working.

Using OSX's IAC driver is a good workaround but I was just wondering if it's something I don't understand?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:29 pm  •   #9306
Ken
Developer

Are the MIDI commands being generated when ControllerMate itself is running?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:34 pm  •   #9307
Noizemaker

Yes when CM is running, everything works fine.

When CM is closed and the Helper takes charge, that's when problems occurs.

If I route the exact same building blocks through the IAC Driver it works. But if I route them through CM's MIDI port, that's when it's not working.
Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:06 pm  •   #9308
Ken
Developer

Do you have other MIDI software that displays which ports are available to the system? If so, does ControllerMate's port appear when just the helper is running?
Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:56 pm  •   #9309
Noizemaker

Ok thanks you just made me realize CM Port might be good after all but Something weird does happen everytime I close ControllerMate that effects the MIDI routing.

Might be my setup. I don't have time to troubleshoot right now but I'll keep you posted.
Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:17 pm  •   #9310
Ken
Developer

When ControllerMate quits and the helper takes over, the original MIDI ports are replaced by ports created by the helper. It would be helpful to know if that switcheroo causes a problem.
Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:20 pm  •   #9311
Noizemaker

Ah that would explain the changes that I'm seeing. Well it does seem to create a confusion indeed. Some identification mismatch or something like that. Digital Performer gets mixed up by it. Even the app "MIDI Monitor" seems to notice there's a change happening. Although it can recover from it.
Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:09 pm  •   #9312
Ken
Developer

The helper reproduces the MIDI port with the same properties (including its unique identifier), so it should seem to observers that the port briefly disconnected then reconnected. MIDI Monitor is something that I regularly test with and haven't seen a problem.

I have started downloading the Digital Performer demo. Not having seen it before, can you give me some tips on where I should look in its interface to see whether or not it is detecting ControllerMate's MIDI port?
Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:39 am  •   #9316
Noizemaker

Well an easy way to see is to make a CM patch that triggers a MIDI note, and then in DP you open the Command window (Setup menu) and you link the play/stop command to the same note.
You make sure you've selected the right MIDI port on the command and that the MIDI Masters are all enabled at the top of the command page.

But I've also experience the same type of strange behavior from MIDIMonitor.app
Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:41 am  •   #9318
Ken
Developer

I setup Digital Performer to play/stop using simple Note MIDI messages. Through various repetitions of quitting/launching ControllerMate (and a couple of complete reboots), DP continued to respond to the MIDI messages from CM and its helper.

There must be a condition in your setup that I am not duplicating here. Can you send me a ControllerMate profile to let me see your current setup? A profile can be generated by running the Help > ControllerMate Profile command in ControllerMate, and then use the button at the bottom of the profile window to save the results to a file.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Jump to: