OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Trackpad Disabling
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Trackpad Disabling Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:20 am  •   #786
ShidouK

Only had this problem pop up after I installed ControllerMate, soo... I'm assuming there's something happening with it. Bought ControllerMate, installed it on my shiny new Macbook Pro 15", works great. Had a Microsoft Wireless Mouse plugged in (which i'd used before with no problems) and my Nostromo n52 plugged in.

I'd set the mouse behaviors to ignore the trackpad while a mouse was plugged in-- when I pulled the USB dongle on the mouse and unplugged the n52, the trackpad stopped working. I think it may be due to the ControllerMate background program still running--is there any way for me to kill that program so I can test and see if that's what's causing it?
Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:05 pm  •   #794
Ken
Developer

The ControllerMate helper application (which runs continuously in the background) does create a virtual mouse which may be triggering the "ignore trackpad" setting. I will do some testing this weekend to see if I can figure out just what is going on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:53 pm  •   #799
ShidouK

I tried killing the ControllerMate Helper to no avail; I'm wondering if something else happened when I unplugged the Nostromo n52 and the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer.

Also of note: It would be nice if there were a way to manually restart the Helper if it's been killed; I had to reboot in order to get it back.
Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:14 pm  •   #800
Ken
Developer

ShidouK wrote:
Also of note: It would be nice if there were a way to manually restart the Helper if it's been killed; I had to reboot in order to get it back.

ControllerMate Helper is an ordinary application located in the /usr/local/bin directory. It can be relaunched at any time. Finding it would be the trick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:07 am  •   #977
a.c

any update on this issue? on my MBP, i too have a dead trackpad. i was attempting to use my 3dconnexion spacenavigator as a virtual mouse - however whatever i did disabled my trackpad and i can't get it back. i don't like being forced to carry around my usb mouse.

any advice???
Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:45 am  •   #978
Ken
Developer

The "offending" virtual mouse is created by ControllerMate's driver -- not the Helper application. Therefore, killing the helper won't do the trick.

For the moment, ControllerMate is simply incompatible with the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" setting in the System Preferences. There are a couple ways I want to try to resolve this conflict for CMv4.2. At the moment, I don't know which solution will work out best.
Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:49 am  •   #979
a.c

thanks ken. you indirectly answered my question Wink

i unchecked the "ignore trackpad when mouse is present" in the sys pref and i've got control again. i didn't realize the bandaid fix was that easy.
Trackpad Disabling Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:36 am  •   #1227
erayl

Both my wife and I got new MacBooks and after installing ControllerMate, our trackpads are dead. Disabling the helper app doesn't fix it, and the only workaround is to check "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present". I feel bad now that I have purchased an application that is causing a hardware problem. Is there any way to remove ControllerMate and eliminate this problem until a fix is found?
Trackpad Disabling Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:13 am  •   #1228
erayl

As a follow-up, I was able to remove ControllerMate using its uninstaller, then deleting the application. This got the trackpad behavior back to normal. Since this thread appears to be two months old, I wonder if there is there any work being done to fix this problem? I found Ken's announcement elsewhere explaining the workaround, but no mention is made of a 'clean' solution. Where does it stand?
Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:49 pm  •   #1229
Ken
Developer

This change will have to be separate from the CMv4.2 update. For now, disabling the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" setting remains the best option.
Trackpad Disabling Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:13 pm  •   #1565
daves

Ran across this problem while testing out ControllerMate -- I was on a bus and ended up not being able to get the trackpad back on until I got home. Any timeline on a possible fix?
Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:28 pm  •   #1566
Ken
Developer

This is a bit of a tough situation. ControllerMate's virtual mouse is simply incompatible with the "Disable trackpad when mouse is present" setting. The problem is to avoid leaving a user with a disabled trackpad regardless of the current setting -- it's a problem I haven't solved yet.

For the record, if you hold the Shift key when rebooting, ControllerMate's driver will not load (others may not load as will). This will restore the trackpad's function.
Sun May 27, 2007 5:02 am  •   #1748
Felix

Hm, this is quite a showstopper bug for me. I really like not having to worry about accidently touching the pad when my mouse is plugged in, but there are many situations where i have to use the trackpad..

Wouldn't you be able to control the trackpad via Controllermate and maybe disable the trackpad from within Controllermate if a real mouse is plugged in (that is, any mouse besides the virtual mouse driver Controllermate uses)?
Then the checkbox in the System preferences would not be working correctly but the feature would be replicated in Controllermate, which seems to be a satisfying solution.

I really hope this issue can be resolved since I otherwise really like the app and would love to use it.

_Felix
Sun May 27, 2007 2:30 pm  •   #1749
Ken
Developer

Felix wrote:
Wouldn't you be able to control the trackpad via Controllermate and maybe disable the trackpad from within Controllermate if a real mouse is plugged in (that is, any mouse besides the virtual mouse driver Controllermate uses)?
Then the checkbox in the System preferences would not be working correctly but the feature would be replicated in Controllermate, which seems to be a satisfying solution.

In theory, this would be one solution. The problem is that when new laptops are introduced, they frequently have different trackpad hardware which requires a different/updated driver. Therefore, different solutions are needed for the various laptop models that exist.

SideTrack is a cool program that deals exclusively with trackpad features. Looking at the history pages, it looks like there is quite a bit of effort just to keep up with the different laptop models.

In the end, I would rather Apple just correctly distinguished a software mouse from a hardware mouse. This worked correctly in Panther and earlier -- I still have hope for Leopard.

The next version of ControllerMate will allow the user to turn off CM's virtual mouse. In fact, on Macs with a trackpad, the virtual mouse will be off by default until the user turns it on. A window appears on first lauch to explain the alternatives.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Jump to: