OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
N52 + WOW = Confusing
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> World of Warcraft
N52 + WOW = Confusing Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:19 pm  •   #896
Trebian

I just recently purchased my new Intel iMac and was distraught that my N52 would not work. To my delight, I found out that there was a solution - ControllerMate. I must first thank the developer(s?) for creating this wonderful tool to assist! Unfortunely, I must now say that I am ... for lack of a better description... utterly confused. Confused

I am trying to setup my N52 with a very basic setup, and have attempted to dredge through but have come up empty handed.

First, the standard setup of the keys (without any shift-state) is pretty standard as the N52 comes programmed, with the exception of two keys. But after following the instructions on your basic setup page, none of the keys are functional (even WASD) which is alarming... Shocked

However, the confusing part (for me anyhow) is when I need to use one of the shift states... say for example RED SHIFT. Previously, I was using the UP arrow on the N52 to be my RED SHIFT and the LEFT arrow as my PTT button '\'. So, I would like to have my red shift state only active when depressed but when depressing the keys they are number keys ( i.e. 1-10 on N52 are 1-0, 11-14 are + - [ ] )

Is any of this even making sense?
Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:36 pm  •   #897
Ken
Developer

If you send me your ~/Library/Preferences/com.orderedbytes.ControllerMate4.plist file, I will be able to look at exactly what you are looking at.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:02 pm  •   #898
pervel

I am using the n52 successfully with WoW. I recently moved from Windows to Mac. While he Windows configuration program for the n52 works well, ControllerMate has allowed me to customize it even further than I could before.

However, CM is a general tool so you should expect some more manual work as it knows nothing specific about the n52. In particular, the "shift states" that you talk about is something you will have to implement completely in CM. It is not actually the n52 that handles these states - it knows nothing about them as such. It is the control software that takes care of them. The good thing is that it means you can have even more states than with Belkin's software. But you have to implement it yourself. And remember that the LED's are nothing but lights that you can turn on via CM if you wish. They have nothing as such to do with states.

I don't use states myself but I have considered doing it. A simple implementation could look something like this:

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 pm  •   #899
pervel

A question to Ken about the example above. It works fine but a better solution would be to have each "state page" set the LED's they way want. Is there a way to have blocks activated when a page becomes enabled/disabled?
Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:27 pm  •   #900
Ken
Developer

I have thought about that. It would essentially be a building block -- similar to a Button block -- that simply indicates the enabled/disabled state of a particular page or group.

I'm not sure it would allow for additional functionality, but would be an alternative to the setup that you show above. Alternatives are good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:44 pm  •   #901
pervel

Just to show off a bit. Laughing I made this cool light show with the LEDs. With the following:

The light show is just fluff of course. The useful part is that it the Orange Button toggles a repeating action that sends a key 3 times per second to the game. When it is on, the LEDs will make a "scrolling" animation sort of.

(Btw making such a repeating key may violate the EULA of the game. I am not sure. But that's a bit off-topic here.)
Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:08 pm  •   #902
Ken
Developer

Nice Smile I've been meaning to put together something that "bounces" the LED back and forth (a la Cylon).
Download area Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:01 pm  •   #1090
jcbivona

ANyone willing to post a copy of their controller profile for WoW? I'm just having trouble understanding the concept and unfortunately not able to really sit and learn about it the way I'd like. Anyone?

John
Re: Download area Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:56 am  •   #1117
Windshadow

jcbivona wrote:
ANyone willing to post a copy of their controller profile for WoW? I'm just having trouble understanding the concept and unfortunately not able to really sit and learn about it the way I'd like. Anyone?

John

Add me to the list of those who would love to have a fully fleshed out .cmate file for WoW and my N52 When ever I attempt to extend the example File Ken did... well my attempts to do much more than add a few extra emotes to this File Ken provided result in me getting quickly over my head from a logic standpoint... my brain does not work that way I guess which some folks are programers of genius like Ken and some are like thumb fingered idiots luckey to recall a password Embarassed
This is Kens WoW N52 example file BTW
http://www.orderedbytes.com/cmate/n52/n52_WoW.cmate.zip
and perhaps even the Z Board WoW version!
Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:36 pm  •   #1147
Ken
Developer

I have managed to clear the list of chores that I have been working on the last couple of weeks. If you could make a list of functions that you would like to program onto the buttons on the n52, I will build the cmate file.

The only catch is that the functions need to be broken down into the keystrokes that are needed. For example, the example in the link above programs several buttons to generate emotes. Similarly, I'll need to see the text/keystrokes that are needed to perform the function that is needed. (Perhaps later I'll hunt around the WoW website and see if they have their documentation online.)
Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:20 pm  •   #1161
Windshadow

Ken First I sure wish we ha a WoW expert in this and not me! A huge thank you for taking this on

But as as far as emotes go this page covers them very well
http://www.wowwiki.com/Emotes_(list)
the basic commands of the game are here
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/controls.html
And I wonder if to keep it general for everyone if you just provided the master set of emotes for all 4 banks then users could modify them as needed. perhaps the black set could reflect those basic commands above with tab and escape etc. and of course the Ww Aa Ss Dd keys as well as Qq and Ee should stay the same on each set I guess

for the combat related commands I would rather that somone who is more advanced in the game provide that info as to which of these are the ones that should be on N52
http://www.wowwiki.com/List_of_Slash_Commands
I would think that the basic ones should be for 'black bank'
combat for 'red bank'
and perhaps the thank you type of emotes on the 'green bank'
with type of player (hunter, mage, druid, warlock etc) on the blue bank

I am more than happy to take advice on this though as I am really a novice at the game

But as I understand it it involves the use of macros
http://www.wowwiki.com/Macros
http://www.wowwiki.com/UI_Beginners_Guide#Macros
and these would be the most useful to me
http://www.wowwiki.com/Useful_macros/Hunter

if you like I could post this offer on one of the WoW mac forums to see if we can get some expert opinions... (I have had a feeling that those that have mastered the n52 and WoW do not share the set up that they have created as they feel that they do not want to give up the edge that they have due to that expertise)
Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:49 pm  •   #1177
Ken
Developer

I've been trying to educate myself about some of the WoW commands. Regarding macros, things like...
Quote:
/cast Raptor Strike

...are easy to understand and to implement with ControllerMate.

However, things like...
Quote:
/cast [modifier:alt] Revive Pet; [target=pet,dead] Revive Pet; [nopet] Call Pet; Mend Pet

...are a little more difficult for me to understand. How are the parts in the brackets interpreted?
Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:20 pm  •   #1178
Windshadow

Ken I have posted the link to this thread in the Mac Support forum so with luck you will get folks here shortly that are not as dumb as I!

Looking forward to what ever comes out of this!
Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:14 am  •   #1189
Luigi

Ken wrote:

However, things like...
Quote:
/cast [modifier:alt] Revive Pet; [target=pet,dead] Revive Pet; [nopet] Call Pet; Mend Pet

...are a little more difficult for me to understand. How are the parts in the brackets interpreted?

I've programmed a WoW set on my Fang Gamepad, so I can answer this one..

The only one that may be a concern is [modifier:alt] which is simply "Do this when Alt is held down and the macro is run."

So bind a key to Alt (aka Option) and you'll take care of this case. The other []s are internal to WoW and have no bearing on ControllerMate.

For the curious, this binds three separate Hunter abilities to one key since they are mutually exclusive, and the Alt part is used to override a bug in the macro.
Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:31 pm  •   #1194
Ken
Developer

Thanks, that explains things a bit.

If multiple actions can be specified per macro, and multiple macros can be assigned to buttons on an n52/Fang/etc., then I can see how things get really complicated, really quickly.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> World of Warcraft
Jump to: