OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
ControllerMate Device Scanner
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Controller Types Goto page 1, 2  Next
ControllerMate Device Scanner Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:15 am  •   #921
Ken
Developer

Over the course of the last several months, there have been many offers from users to do some additional testing on devices in order to help make them more compatible with ControllerMate. Until now, there hasn't really been a good way to do this.

CM Device Scanner is a little application that allows users to run four specific tests on their devices. The results from these tests will help create a downloadable Controller Type file for those devices. The four tests are:

1. Unnecessary Controls -- Sometimes (particularly for keyboards or keyboard/mouse combinations) ControllerMate shows hundreds of controls in the Palette window that just don't exist on the device. During this test, the user presses all of the buttons/controls on the device to determine which of the claimed controls are real and which are not.

2. Rename Controls -- Some controls have strange default names. This test allows users to submit more meaningful names for controls.

3. Non-Standard Controls -- By default, ControllerMate ignores controls that don't have standard definitions. This test will collect basic information about controls that are being ignored, and will record the events that these controls generate. This will help make ControllerMate compatible with devices that use non-standard controls.

4. Verify LEDs -- Some devices claim to have an interface to LEDs. This test will attempt to blink each LED in turn and allow the user to indicate whether or not there actually is a blinking LED on the device.

These tests will be most useful for keyboards which have a variety of additional media buttons. Typical joysticks/gamepads usually show up correctly in ControllerMate and won't benefit by this.

All tests are optional. CM Device Scanner is intended to be a self-explanitory, step-by-step application. As such, there isn't a separate help file or ReadMe. Questions about it should be posted here or sent via e-mail.

Last edited by Ken on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:37 pm  •   #5510
Tursaanpoika

Hiya Ken!

I'm trying to map my whole MX3100 desktop but as far as I've read those files CMDS creates, the media keys somehow seem to belong to the mouse 1133:50450:1:2 (keyb is 1133:50450:1:6).
I've not yet purchased CM, but it looks promising - if only there was a way for me to make a controller... Is there? I like to tinker around myself, but I cannot grasp "spurious" for example. Logitech's own Mac-support/driver is a plain joke. (MX3100 isn't mac-compatible, I know, but still...)
Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:15 pm  •   #5512
Tursaanpoika

Tursaanpoika wrote:
Hiya Ken!

I'm trying to map my whole MX3100 desktop but as far as I've read those files CMDS creates, the media keys somehow seem to belong to the mouse 1133:50450:1:2 (keyb is 1133:50450:1:6).
I've not yet purchased CM, but it looks promising - if only there was a way for me to make a controller... Is there? I like to tinker around myself, but I cannot grasp "spurious" for example. Logitech's own Mac-support/driver is a plain joke. (MX3100 isn't mac-compatible, I know, but still...)

Actually, I think I got it:) I'll send you the .cmate-file and the CMScanner .plist later on.
Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 am  •   #8019
Todd

Any news on updating the Device Scanner for OS X 10.8 compatibility?

I own an Azio Levetron Mech 5 keyboard that could use some help to get all of its keys working.
Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:32 am  •   #8024
kjelgaard

How do I use the files that this spits out to make a driver config? Is it even for that purpose?
Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:17 am  •   #8030
Ken
Developer

Todd wrote:
Any news on updating the Device Scanner for OS X 10.8 compatibility?

Not yet. The free time that I had planned on using to work on it turned out to not be free.

My current plan is to work on it while traveling for Christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:19 am  •   #8031
Ken
Developer

kjelgaard wrote:
How do I use the files that this spits out to make a driver config? Is it even for that purpose?

The scanner output is not used to create a Driver Configuration. It is used to help me create an importable cmate file that improves ControllerMate's compatibility with a device. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.
Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 pm  •   #8776
davidmikky

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:25 am  •   #8788
Ken
Developer

davidmikky wrote:
if only there was a way for me to make a controller... Is there?

Not quite sure what you mean by this. The Scanner application was used to create files to help improve ControllerMate's compatibility with devices.
Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:22 pm  •   #9090
ReadyPlayer1

Does this program still work? I tried it with my dualshock 4, it detects that it is connected, but when I tried to press buttons, nothing showed up. I also troubleshooted with my internal keyboard and nothing showed up...
Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:31 am  •   #9097
Ken
Developer

ReadyPlayer1 wrote:
Does this program still work? I tried it with my dualshock 4, it detects that it is connected, but when I tried to press buttons, nothing showed up. I also troubleshooted with my internal keyboard and nothing showed up...

The Scanner application hasn't been updated for the latest versions of Mac OS X. It remains a low priority item at the moment.
Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:31 pm  •   #9379
ChristophV

I have a Joystick here that does not show at all and I would love to provide you with the necessary data, but can't find the CM Device Scanner anywhere to download.

It's a flight stick with hud, throttle, z-rotation axis and 6 button. (And it has some kind of vibration I don't care about).

What can I do to get this USB controller to show up in Controller Mate or how can I support controller mate to be able to show this device?

All the best
Christoph
Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:38 pm  •   #9381
Ken
Developer

The Scanner application hasn't been updated for recent versions of Mac OS X. If the joystick doesn't show up *at all*, then the Scanner would probably not have helped anyway.

What sort of joystick is this? Does it include its own software?
Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:04 am  •   #9382
ChristophV

Hi,
Thank you for your quick response.
The brand is a Rocketeer, I use the last a long time ago when I was in the windows and I didn't use a driver if I remember correctly.
However you're right, device does not show up under controller mate, I do however see it on the system info USB devices.

Since controllers are such a niche product today, I'm sure you're doing your programming not for money but for us, so thank you for that.

If there is any way, to get this device to work I'm more than happy to help.

All the best
Christoph
Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:52 am  •   #9383
Ken
Developer

I am curious about how this controller identifies itself. If you send me a ControllerMate Profile (and reference this thread), I will look into it.

A profile can be generated by running the Help > ControllerMate Profile command in ControllerMate, and then use the button at the bottom of the profile window to save the results to a file.
Page 1 of 2 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Controller Types Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: