OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Most Common Support Questions
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Most Common Support Questions Tue May 02, 2006 4:31 pm  •   #103
Ken
Developer

The following are (currently) the most commonly asked questions...

After updating to Lion, ControllerMate says it is no longer registered. Why?
When updating from one major version of Mac OS X to the next, the installer commonly removes non-Apple drivers. ControllerMate's driver is necessary for proper operation, including verifying the registration information. The solution is to re-run the latest ControllerMate installer after updating Mac OS X.

I registered through PayPal. Why haven't I received my key?
The two common answers to this are...
1) A payment with an "eCheck" takes a few days to complete (almost always 3-4 days) but on rare occasion can take as long as 8-10 days depending on your location. Once PayPal indicates that the transaction has completed, an automatic e-mail will be sent to you containing the registration information.
2) The registration information is sent to the e-mail address that is provided by PayPal. If this e-mail address not a current address, then the registration information won't arrive as expected. If this has happened, and you no longer have access to the previous account, then send a note containing the old address/new address or some of the payment details. The registration information will be sent to the new address once it can be correlated with the payment.

Why don't some keyboard buttons don't do anything in ControllerMate?
The standard installation of ControllerMate is compatible with controls that have standard HID (Human Interface Device) definitions. HID also allows manufacturers to add "vendor-defined" controls to their devices. These vendor-defined controls are sometimes used for the media controls on keyboards. ControllerMate v4.1 allows users to download "Controller Type" files which add compatibility with vendor-defined controls on some devices. Information about the currently available Controller Type files can be found here. If your device is not already listed, you can help create a Controller Type file by scanning your device with the ControllerMate Device Scanner and returning the results.

Why doesn't ControllerMate accept my registration code?
When registering ControllerMate, both the Owner and Product Key fields need to be filled with the exact information that is contained in your confirmation e-mail. Uppercase/lowercase letters are important. Also, if you have recently re-installed Mac OS X, ControllerMate will need to be reinstalled using its installer. Migrating applications and data from an previous installation of Mac OS X may not move all of ControllerMate's components correctly.

Why does ControllerMate "forget" my registration information after I quit?
If ControllerMate is installed while logged in as one user, and then the registration information is entered while logged in as a different user, ControllerMate may "forget" the registration information. The solution is to move the file /Library/Preferences/com.orderedbytes.ControllerMate.plist to the trash, launch ControllerMate and enter your registration information. (Note: this file is in the "Library" folder that is on your hard drive, not the "Library" folder that is in your home folder.)

Why does the trackpad stop working on my MacBook/MacBook Pro/iBook when ControllerMate is installed?
ControllerMate creates a virtual mouse to move the cursor on the screen. If the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" option is selected in the "Mouse & Keyboard" panel of System Preferences, then Mac OS X will ignore the trackpad because it treats ControllerMate's virtual mouse just like a real mouse. The solution is to disable the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" option.

Why do I get "ControllerMate / ControllerMate Helper has unexpectedly quit" error messages after installing Mac OS X 10.4.9?
There was a bug introduced in the HID library in Mac OS X 10.4.9. Installing Security Update 2007-004 or any newer version of Mac OS X 10.4 will eliminate the crashes.

Last edited by Ken on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:34 am; edited 11 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:45 pm  •   #116
Ken
Developer

With the official release of ControllerMate v4 (June 2), an Intel-compatible Universal Binary version of ControllerMate becomes the top priority.

Hopefully in a week or so there will be a good estimate as to how long it will take to get ControllerMate v4.0.1 released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:50 pm  •   #121
infect

Ken, Sounds like you're well on your way with the Intel version... can't wait! I'm going to buy controllermate as soon as it's out with support for my Macbook Pro. Thanks again for the hard work.
Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:04 am  •   #856
pervel

A common problem people seem to have is having CM suppress the default behaviour of a device. I had that problem for a long time when trying to configure the Nostromo n52.

The answer is to drag the controller from the Inspector into the left pane of the main window while the Programming tab is active. This enables you to specify the behaviour "None" for the controls you wish to suppress.

However, the answer is not that simple always. You can only do the above if there is a little (C) to the left of the device icon. There wasn't one for my Nostromo n52. The reason for that is that some other program or driver is trying to control the device too. I tried to uninstall the software that came with the Nostromo without any luck. Later I completely reinstalled Mac OS X and made sure not to install the software from Belkin. Now I could finally fully control the n52 from CM.

I would have loved to know the above while I was struggling. Also, does anyone know if there is a good way to get rid of the drivers installed by other software? Reinstalling Mac OS X isn't an ideal solution. Laughing (I did it for other reasons btw.)
Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:18 pm  •   #859
Ken
Developer

The above works provided you are using Mac OS X 10.4 and no custom driver is being used for the device. For the n52, this means that /System/Library/Extensions/Nostromo.kext must not be installed.
Supressing default buttons Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm  •   #3963
bwahacker

Hi, I just bought ControllerMate and I'm super excited about it. I had wanted to write my own USB/HID stack to get lower level control of my input devices, but no time...

So anyway, I want to suppress the clicks on my Kensington Expert Mouse trackball and use the buttons on it to move the cursor. Is that possible? Looking at the post above, it seems I should be able to drag that controller into the programming palette, but I don't see a UI to do anything special with it. I do have a 'C' icon in the Palette window for the Expert Mouse.

I don't have the Kensington MouseWorks garbage installed.

I realize the above post is pretty old... I'll keep looking.

==

OK, found the solution:

1. Drag the controller from the Palette not into the grid but to the tree view, where "Start Page" is.
2. Click each button in "Mouse Buttons"
3. At the very bottom there is a menu, change the buttons to "disable".
4. Under "Mouse Axes", the movement of the mouse can be disabled too.
Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:37 am  •   #3964
Ken
Developer

Thanks for posting an update. It's helpful to hear which parts of the interface are difficult to figure out.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Jump to: