OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Controlling Logic's new Articulation Set
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Controlling Logic's new Articulation Set Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:22 am  •   #12354
DanM

Logic has the newish Articulation Set feature so we don't have to use keyswitch articulations (using a low note on the keyboard), and I've been having a devil of a time getting ControllerMate to work with it. An XKeys surface with CM would be a perfect combination for this.

I've figured out a way to do it with one issue. The method is clumsy however and I'm wondering if there's a better way. The approach is to send a MIDI CC/Control Change message to switch articulations. What I want is a single CC message, but can only get two CC messages. Here's a block

• X-keys 84
  • Constant 0/5
  • Number Exchange 0 to 5
  • Ch1 Effect Control

This sends a CC message (12 in this example) with value of 5, which Logic has mapped to a particular articulation.

One problem is the Constant requires two different numbers for the on and off, so two messages are sent. It would be better to send one. Putting 5 and 5 in the on/off fields doesn't work, it requires two different numbers.

Second, I have to convert the 0 to 5, just so it goes to the value I want rather than doing several articulations. Really it's just trying to get around the double pulse and ends up setting the articulation twice.

So this is clumsy, needing a "Constant" and "Number Exchange", where ideally it would just output a single pulse with one constant.

Ideas? Thanks -
Re: Controlling Logic's new Articulation Set Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 am  •   #12355
DanM

As often happens, after posting I tried some things I didn't look into before and found a solution. Not elegant but it works.

• X-keys 74
  • Random 5..5
  • Ch1 Effect Control 1

The Random block allows you to only output a single number, and most importantly has a setting to only generate a random number with an 'On' is sent to the input.

So a more elegant solution would be to enhance the Constant number block to allow sending single numbers when On is triggered.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Jump to: