OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Using PS2 Drum Controller as MIDI input for GarageBand
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> ControllerMate Discussion
Using PS2 Drum Controller as MIDI input for GarageBand Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:32 am  •   #2130
Milamber_Cubed

Hi All,

I am currently trying out CM to see if it would let me do the above - and it does! I thought I'd post my results on here since there doesn't seem to be a similar use case that I could find on here.

I have a PS2 game called Drummania which is a Japanese drum game similar to the drumming aspect in the upcoming Rock Band, only with awesome/crazy/weird Japanese music and video.

It comes with a controller that looks something like this:

http://www.toysnjoys.com/psx2/drummania_set.jpg

5 pads and a bass "pedal" and some ruberised drum sticks thrown in - mine came without the stand, sadly.

Anyway, I got this working with GarageBand as a MIDI input mapped to a drum kit and it works great.

I originally tried this:

Drum Controller --> PS2 USB Adaptor --> CM --> GarageBand (musical typing).

Turns out that musical typing has horrible lag. I eventually found a program called Midi Keys that forms a virtual MIDI input that GarageBand picks up without any problems.

Drum Controller --> PS2 USB Adaptor --> CM --> Midi Keys -- > GarageBand (MIDI input.

A quick remapping of which buttons map to what keyboard presses and I was away without any lag whatsoever.

At first I had the key strokes set to "one shot" and this had the effect of not being able to have simultaneous keyboard presses. A switch back to "press and hold" fixed everything up nicely.

At the moment I have each pad mapped as they would be in the game - hi-hat, snare, tom, tom, cymbal (from left to right) and the bass pedal and it works really quite well. I am going to mess around making each pad more than one keypress to see if I can "cheat" my way to sounding better.... I am not really a drummer but wanted to see if I could lay down something as backing for my guitar playing.

Just thought I would share in case any ideas etc are useful for anyone else - there didn't seem to be anything similar when I searched for info.

Milamber
Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:12 pm  •   #2131
Ken
Developer

Thanks for sharing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> ControllerMate Discussion
Jump to: