OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Ideazon MERC
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Controller Types
Ideazon MERC Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:45 am  •   #2156
Ken
Developer

A downloadable Controller Type for the Ideazon MERC Gaming Keyboard was added today.

This renames several controls to match the labels printed on the device and removes numerous generic controls that don't actually exist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Using the MERC control type Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:20 pm  •   #3592
homerfromhawley

MAC Pro
2x 2,8 Quad-core
Mac OS X 10.5.5

Ken,
I took one look at this and registered immediately. The efforts put into this are easy to see and very good on the eyes.

That said, I am not a programmer and getting an understanding of this software is not entirely native to me. So if you could take me by the hand....

I obviously own the MERC keyboard and am an avid FPS fan.
I run Boot CAMP and spend just as much time in Windows because this keyboard doesn't(didn't) work in the Mac OS.

I want to run and become familiar with the Mac so I bought a couple FPS and decided to find a keyboard mapping program and was fortunate to find yours because it is so much more.

I downloaded the controller type from your website and tested all the keys in the palette and was very excited to see the appropriate responses.

I dragged the controller types to the programming tab of CM and enabled them but see no output when I type on them. I run Battlefield 2142 and in the controller setup, only get responses from keyboard specific keys.

I then programmed/mapped the "butterfly" keys and the other special keys on the left hand side to normal keyboard keys.

A couple of things to note:
1. I only saw output in the Output window when the Palette window was open. If it was closed, no more output. This was true in BF 2142 as well.
2. The programmed keys did not act as the keyboard keys they were mapped to. i.e. If I pressed and held the "CRTL" key, which is a crouch action in the game and pressed "A", I would move forward while crouching. If I did this with the mapped key equivalent to "A", I would stand up and no longer crouch as I moved forward. I had the programmed key as a SINGLE-KEY OUTPUT and PRESS and HOLD behavior.

Questions:
1. Why can't I just use the default controller types and avoid programming unless I want to run MACROS?
2. How do I run CM minimized and it still run stable? Maybe I do not have everything installed/setup correctly?
Re: Using the MERC control type Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:26 am  •   #3594
Ken
Developer

homerfromhawley wrote:
I dragged the controller types to the programming tab of CM and enabled them but see no output when I type on them. I run Battlefield 2142 and in the controller setup, only get responses from keyboard specific keys.

I'm not quite sure that I follow this description. I'm guessing that you created a controller configuration such as the one in the image below. This will allow you to reconfigure each of the buttons to act like a different button on the same device, or to simply turn off the default behavior of the various buttons. It's common to use these to turn off the various buttons of a device, then use building blocks to create whatever functionality is desired for each button.

homerfromhawley wrote:
I then programmed/mapped the "butterfly" keys and the other special keys on the left hand side to normal keyboard keys.

A couple of things to note:
1. I only saw output in the Output window when the Palette window was open. If it was closed, no more output. This was true in BF 2142 as well.

This is a known issue that is fixed in the upcoming update.

homerfromhawley wrote:
2. The programmed keys did not act as the keyboard keys they were mapped to. i.e. If I pressed and held the "CRTL" key, which is a crouch action in the game and pressed "A", I would move forward while crouching. If I did this with the mapped key equivalent to "A", I would stand up and no longer crouch as I moved forward. I had the programmed key as a SINGLE-KEY OUTPUT and PRESS and HOLD behavior.

It sounds like the A was generated with something like this...

In that case, pressing the actual CTRL key on the keyboard won't affect the A because the two are coming from different devices (the A is generated by CM's virtual keyboard). You should be able to fix this by connecting the CTRL key on the keyboard to the CTRL key on the virtual keyboard...

It seems redundant, but the above may fix this particular problem.

homerfromhawley wrote:
Questions:
1. Why can't I just use the default controller types and avoid programming unless I want to run MACROS?

The controller configuration is only able to make a button act like a different button on the same device, or to turn off the button's behavior. Anything more fancy than that is going to require building blocks.

homerfromhawley wrote:
2. How do I run CM minimized and it still run stable? Maybe I do not have everything installed/setup correctly?

Hmm, it should be stable when you quit ControllerMate and allow the background helper application to handle the programming. What sort of differences do you see when CM is minimized and when the helper is running?

All-in-all, you've identified a few areas of CM's interface that I would really like to streamline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Controller Types
Jump to: