OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Guitar Hero Controller + GarageBand
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> ControllerMate Discussion
Guitar Hero Controller + GarageBand Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:29 pm  •   #3273
iRockAMac

I am new to ControllerMate, and I wanted to get a basis for some experiments with a Guitar Hero Controller (X-Plorer for the 360) and GarageBand. Here is how I want it to work:

When I push down a button and strum, to play a note, hold it until I release the fret button, and play the note again if I strum again while still holding down the fret button.

Also, is it possible to make an axis control a key? What I wanted to do was make it so that when the Ry-Rotation goes up, it activates the key that increases pitch while using musical typing in GarageBand.

And one last thing. Is it possible to activate a loop (one of the pre-made beats or rythms)?

If someone could help me with this that would helo me so much
Re: Guitar Hero Controller + GarageBand Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:21 am  •   #3282
Ken
Developer

iRockAMac wrote:
When I push down a button and strum, to play a note, hold it until I release the fret button, and play the note again if I strum again while still holding down the fret button.

Assuming that you are using the Musical Typing option of GarageBand, it sounds like you would need to to connect the fret buttons to the Tab key to sustain a note, then use the strum button in combination with a fret button to trigger a note.

iRockAMac wrote:
Also, is it possible to make an axis control a key? What I wanted to do was make it so that when the Ry-Rotation goes up, it activates the key that increases pitch while using musical typing in GarageBand.

You should be able to do this using a Range building block. Adjust the settings of the Range to determine how far the axis needs to be pushed to activate the key...

iRockAMac wrote:
And one last thing. Is it possible to activate a loop (one of the pre-made beats or rythms)?

If there is a key or key combination that activates a loop, the CM can probably generate it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 am  •   #3288
iRockAMac

Well I already found a post showing how to make it so that the note sustains until I let go, using logic blocks "and" and "not". What I really needed to know was how to make the strum reactivate the key. It needs to sort of deactivate it and then turn it back on instantly, but without a noticeable pause between.

And also with the axis control, I tried the range thing, but the axis has to be at one exact range to turn it on, so unless I make it trigger it had the highest and lowest points, I can't hold it steady enough because the range is 32767 to -32768. And what I really want there is for even a slight change in the axis will change the velocity (yes I changed my mind, I want to change velocity with the y-axis now, and pitch with the z-axis, which is the whammy bar).[/code]
Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:11 am  •   #3289
iRockAMac

I have almost figured it out, but there is one problem. Right now if I push the first button and strum, it plays the note until I let go of the first button. AND now when I strum again, it turns off the first button when I strum (turn on the other button) and plays it again when the strum is off. This causes a noticeable gap between sounds. I'm not sure if what I am trying to do is not going to work in GarageBand because it can't comprehend the strum concept with musical typing. If there is another program for Mac that anyone knows about that recognizes strumming, I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

This is my current setup:

[/img]
Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:03 am  •   #3296
Ken
Developer

How about something like the following...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> ControllerMate Discussion
Jump to: