OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Introduction to Controller Types
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Controller Types
Introduction to Controller Types Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:39 am  •   #922
Ken
Developer

Controller Types are files that can be downloaded and imported into ControllerMate to improve compatibility with specific devices.

By default, ControllerMate will look at the information that is stored in a device to determine which controls are available and how they should be handled. Sometimes this information is incomplete or misleading -- resulting in incompatibility.

For example, some device (particularly keyboards) define many more buttons than they actually contain. Since ControllerMate can't tell which controls actually exist and which don't, all are shown. In some cases, hundreds of unnecessary controls are shown.

Also, some controls are defined in a non-standard ("vendor-specific") manner. By default, ControllerMate will ignore these controls.

Downloadable Controller Type files can help both of these situations. They will hide controls that don't actually exist, and they contain definitions that allow ControllerMate to interpret non-standard controls. In addition, they also may contain custom names for controls that are more descriptive that the default names.

To learn more about which device can currently benefit from a downloadable Controller Type, please visit this page.
To learn more about how you can help improve compatibility with your particular device, please visit this page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 am  •   #11894
R7

I tried the Apple aluminium keyboard files but I saw no change in ControllerMate. Is this deliberately so because I have the X-Keys version? And purchasing the other version would grant access to these support files while leaving all the existing X-Keys compatibility and programming intact?
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Controller Types
Jump to: