OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
MIDI Nomenclature, and, CC's...
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
MIDI Nomenclature, and, CC's... Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 pm  •   #11095
RTZ

Hi Ken,

A couple of things for your consideration...

1) The Octave Numbering of MIDI notes is Incorrect

There are two standards used to name MIDI notes. One is where middle C (always note #60) is labeled as "C3". The other is where middle C (again, always note #60) is labeled as "C4". If you asked 2 people which standard should be used, their answer might depend on what part of the world they live in. So essentially there is no standard. But calling it C5, as in CM, is just too far off the mark.

As I'm in the US, where middle C = C3 is the norm, I'd like to suggest that the names of MIDI notes be corrected so that the lowest possible MIDI note (#0) reads as C-2, middle C (#60) is C3, and the highest possible MIDI note (#127) is G8.

2) MIDI Aftertouch is Incorrectly Named

The actual type of event this building block outputs is called Polyphonic Aftertouch, which is not the same as what is commonly referred to as simply "Aftertouch" (this being Channel Pressure). And as with what I wrote above, the note names for Poly Aftertouch (also "Poly Pressure") events are incorrect.

3) Missing CC Implementation

To my surprise, CM's MIDI building blocks don't include one for generating Control Change messages (CC's). These are one of the most oft-used kind of MIDI message short of notes. It would greatly enhance CM's abilities as a source of MIDI messages if you could include a CC Message Output block.

Best Regards,

Peter
Re: MIDI Nomenclature, and, CC's... Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:55 pm  •   #11409
Ken
Developer

Thanks for the feedback. While researching MIDI, I found a variety of conflicting information. So I wouldn't be surprised if I missed some of the accepted conventions...

RTZ wrote:
1) The Octave Numbering of MIDI notes is Incorrect

There is a setting in ControllerMate's preferences that should set the note numbering convention.

RTZ wrote:
2) MIDI Aftertouch is Incorrectly Named

I have seen 'Polyphonic Aftertouch', 'Polyphonic Key Pressure', 'Channel Pressure', 'Channel Aftertouch', 'Aftertouch' in various places ... enough to make me think "just who wrote this spec?!?" I'll take another look at the names though.

RTZ wrote:
3) Missing CC Implementation

Doesn't the MIDI Variable Controller Output provide these messages?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:20 pm  •   #11410
RTZ

Thanks for your reply, as always!

Regarding octave numbering conventions, I wasn't aware that there was a preference for this. Thanks for pointing that out.

Still, let me suggest that there's no reason to have choices for middle C other than C3 or C4. C5 is simply never used with respect to naming MIDI notes.

On distinctions and nomenclature regarding aftertouch, I can give you authoritative information on this:

"Aftertouch" refers to the act of applying pressure to one or more keys after notes are played. The amount of pressure can be sensed in only one of two ways:

Channel Aftertouch (Monophonic Aftertouch, Channel Pressure, Aftertouch). Here, a single pressure sensor spans the length of the keyboard. The greatest amount of pressure applied to any key will be reflected in the data byte for Channel Pressure messages -- hence "monophonic". The actual keys played make no difference. This is reflected in the fact that there's only one data byte associated with these kinds of messages -- the pressure value. "Aftertouch" most commonly refers to this kind of message because the other type of aftertouch is rarely implemented.

• Polyphonic Aftertouch (Poly Pressure, Key Pressure, Poly Aftertouch, etc.) Keyboards capable of generating these kinds of messages have a force sensor under every individual key. Thus, the first data byte is the MIDI note number of the key to which pressure is being applied, the second data byte being the amount of force applied to it.

I'd suggest using the labels "Mono Aftertouch" and "Poly Aftertouch" to distinguish between them.

Finally, I didn't think to look at the MIDI Variable Controller building block because of the nomenclature "MIDI Variable Controller". I'd like to suggest that it be named "MIDI Control Change" which reflects the official name for these kinds of messages (Control Change messages, commonly referred to as CC's).

In closing, we can talk nomenclature/shnomenclature all day long, but I'm still your biggest fan!

Best,

Peter
Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:59 pm  •   #11411
Ken
Developer

Thanks for the additional comments.

RTZ wrote:
Still, let me suggest that there's no reason to have choices for middle C other than C3 or C4. C5 is simply never used with respect to naming MIDI notes.

Don't you mean that C4 is never used with respect to naming MIDI notes? I have definitely seen references to C3 and C5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:18 am  •   #11412
RTZ

No, what I wrote is correct. C5 is never referenced as middle C. It's only ever C3 or C4.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Jump to: