OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Hexadecimal String via Midi Device
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Hexadecimal String via Midi Device Fri May 26, 2017 9:14 pm  •   #11352
publicstate

I'm attempting to get CM to speak to an ETC ion console via MIDI.

Any advice for sending Midi Show Control data or a hexadecimal string via a midi interface?

Thanks!
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:37 am  •   #11815
dabo

I've been able to do (within limits) this sort of thing using AppleScript and SendMIDI triggered by ControllerMate.
It hasn’t been completely reliable, but you can send MIDI messages without needing another application running in the background.

If you are ok with another app in the background, MidiPipe is a good option.

Last edited by dabo on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:19 am  •   #11919
glennv

I use https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI a powerfull midi commandline tool and trigger it from applescript CM object.
Works like a charm for midi stuff you cant send directly from CM
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:17 pm  •   #12039
glennv

wow this forum is toast with all these single post users spam (all bots, no human in play for sure)
Its a pitty and there seems to be zero moderation . Just remove these crappy post and resurrect this forum please.
Also incorporate some spam prevention tools will help.
Like new users only after manual approval. Takes care of 90% of current forum crap spammers.
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:06 am  •   #13427
Ken
Developer

glennv wrote:
wow this forum is toast with all these single post users spam (all bots, no human in play for sure)
Its a pitty and there seems to be zero moderation . Just remove these crappy post and resurrect this forum please.
Like new users only after manual approval. Takes care of 90% of current forum crap spammers.

On it ... it's a grind though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:54 am  •   #13435
glennv

Good luck mate and tnx for at least giving a sign of life. Was getting worried.

A few suggestions (from someone why ran a few years a forum myself fighting the bad motherf*&^%ers):

- Make registration to the forum closed and only after approval by you. Thats probably already the biggest block. If you cant register a user you cant spam.
- Put in some advanced captcha plugin , both for the registration page as well as for posting. There are lots of good options and prevent 99% of the bots getting in.
- Take the forum down maybe a few days and clean out all the shit posts as looks very bad to new users / potential customers of your software (i got that feedback when i send my customers to your site to buy your software)
Call it spring cleaning and drink a nice bottle of wine when doing it.
- More difficult to do but someting i have on all my web/mailservers is a firewall and some auto blocking stuff like fail2ban and in addition feed it respectable maintained blacklists that blocks any nasty known servers spam originatings pcs etc.
https://www.blocklist.de/en/index.html is pretty solid as well as spamhaus.

Feel free to pm me when you need some more advice. You have my details from earlier contacts.
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 am  •   #13439
Ken
Developer

Thanks for the suggestions. When I manage to get some more free time, I will take a look at what I can do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 am  •   #13452
glennv

Great !

Seems you have already cleared out the spam as far as i can see and it feels like a breath of fresh air again visiting this forum only seeing real messages.

Tnx . Appreciated
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:48 pm  •   #13720
JonnyP

Ken wrote:
glennv wrote:

On it ... it's a grind though.

Fantastic! It certainly has been out of hand. How about adding some measures to make it more difficult for bots to create accounts and post? I've gotten emails about responses to my threads which turned out to be spam as recently as this afternoon.

MORE IMPORTANTLY though...: Welcome back! I'm glad to see you are here again. I was getting increasingly concerned as you've never been silent on the forum for even close to 6 months before.

I trust all is well & I hope that your reasons for not being here were not the result of anything unpleasant or unfortunate in your life.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Jump to: