OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Sideways Scroll hack help
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Sideways Scroll hack help Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:02 am  •   #11998
craigdwilliams

Hey guys,

I've come up with this configuration to make my Razer Nostromo scroll sideways on OSX Sierra/High Sierra:

Nostromo Wheel >accumulator (init 0, max/min-1) >value Sel -1 > Pulse 0.50s >Shift Key
and
Nostromo Wheel >accumulator (init 0, max/min 1) >value Sel 1 > Pulse 0.50s >Shift Key

The idea is that as the vertical scroll can't be blocked to be replaced with horizontal scroll in the recent OSX versions, creating a macro that activates shift while scrolling could effectively give the same effect of a horizontal scroll reassign. The only issue is that the wheel itself only ever reports a 1 or -1 value and for the setup to work properly, I feel like it it needs to switch back to zero after scrolling. So I've tried to force it back to zero with the accelerator set to initial value 0 and return to initial value selected, but for some reason it doesn't always return to 0 it still lets vert scrolling start before the shift is activated.

Obviously I could just hold down shift on my keypad and scroll with the regular mouse, but I've been doing it the other way for so long, its a lot harder than I thought! Rolling Eyes

Any thoughts, suggestions, or pointing out of dumb mistakes I've made would be very useful!! Cool

Thanks,

Craig

::Edit:: here's a screen grab of what I'm doing- https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3QENnP1MKPxz9Ip2

Mixer|Engineer|Producer
www.craigdwilliams.com

Last edited by craigdwilliams on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:01 pm  •   #11999
xltrader100

Craig - I've been using this approach https://photos.app.goo.gl/aWv3poaJARVX6K4d2 for a long time now to do horizontal scrolling.

Just hold down a spare button to activate a Single Key shift function while you scroll. It's not perfect, in that many Adobe programs (Illustrator, InDesign etc) use Shift-Scroll for other purposes, but there's no harm done because they'll just ignore your custom CM function and continue on with their normal business.
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 pm  •   #12000
craigdwilliams

Hey mate, thanks for the suggestion.

That was my original solution, as I have a shift programmed on my keypad, but my brain is rebelling and won't stop trying to use the keypad's scroll wheel!

I've tweaked my little setup a bit and it's a little more reliable, but a tiny bit of vertical scroll still gets through occasionally!
At this stage if there was a way to do it in hardware, Id have the thing open soldering iron in hand in seconds!

Mixer|Engineer|Producer
www.craigdwilliams.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 pm  •   #12001
xltrader100

Craig - I guess I don’t understand your objective. What do you do to make the window scrolling switch direction, since you don’t want to use a button?
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 am  •   #12004
craigdwilliams

So I do a lot of audio editing professionally that requires a lot of scrolling in all directions often simultaneously, and use a Kensington trackball that scrolls vertically in my right hand and a game pad that scrolls horizontally in my left to achieve this.

I've been working that way for 15 or so years, so it's a struggle to switch to just holding shift after so much time the other way. To assign horizontal scroll to aa key on the game pad will be an even bigger mind bender! Shocked

I've created a setup in CM as described above in the original message that actions shift when I use my gampad scroll, giving me a horizontal scroll. But its a bit patchy.

Ill see if I can work out how to post a screen grab..

Mixer|Engineer|Producer
www.craigdwilliams.com
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:14 am  •   #12005
craigdwilliams

here is a screen grab of what I've come up with so far

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3QENnP1MKPxz9Ip2

Mixer|Engineer|Producer
www.craigdwilliams.com
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 am  •   #12006
xltrader100

Craig - Ok, I see what you want to do now. And I see the erratic behavior you’re trying to tweak out. It occasionally moves the screen vertically for several clicks of the wheel when starting a new horizontal scroll.

Here is a slight improvement in your existing config. https://photos.app.goo.gl/kanCn1dQ4QUK9td73
It still moves the screen vertically at the start of a horizontal scroll, but ONLY for the first click of the wheel, which is almost unnoticeable, and never again until the wheel stops.

You can see if you move the scroll wheel in one click increments that the window will move diagonally, because the system catches the first click to make a vertical move before CM can apply the Shift modifier. But with multiple wheel clicks the horizontal scroll continues normally.

I think this is unavoidable with the current state of CM’s scroll wheel limitations. If that ever gets sorted then you can remove this first click anomaly with a virtual wheel and a configuration file.
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am  •   #12007
craigdwilliams

Awesome! Ill give it a tr. Thank you Cool

Mixer|Engineer|Producer
www.craigdwilliams.com
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am  •   #12008
craigdwilliams

ok this works really well xltrader!! I'm not even getting the slight vertical you mentioned so it's perfect!
This kind of stuff is not natural to me.. I just couldn't wrap my head around it!! Laughing
Now I can get back to making music Cool

Thanks again!

Mixer|Engineer|Producer
www.craigdwilliams.com
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Jump to: