OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Device Routing
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Device Routing Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 pm  •   #12475
nreeves

Hi,

I've got an X-Keys16, a single MIDI controller and a slew of different MIDI sound modules. What I've been trying to do today is set up an interactive MIDI patchbay, where the xkeys controller enables/bypasses the flow of MIDI data (note, cc, etc) between my one input device and various sound modules.

e.g.

button 1 : MIDI controller > MIDI module 1 (on/off)
button 2 : MIDI controller > MIDI module 2 (on/off)
button 3 : MIDI controller > MIDI module 3 (on/off)
etc..

The issue I'm having is the lack of monolithic, catch-all MIDI device input and output nodes. As it is now I can only figure out how to do this in a very granular per-note and per-note velocity way for both the source and the destination. Unless I'm missing something it looks like it would require over 500 nodes per routing just for notes (0-127 note and velocity, input and output) - which, while possible, is daunting.

In theory it seems like this should be straight-forward to configure as I'm not trying to augment any data just toggle streams on/off -- but it seems the tools available are more surgical and what I need is broad-stroke.

Is there an easier way to accomplish this that I'm missing?

If not, would it be a reasonable feature request to ask for some high-level MIDI I/O nodes to facilitate this kind of routing?

Thanks kindly
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm  •   #12598
nreeves

Would be great to have some way to do this in ControllerMate as I'm already using it extensively.
Meanwhile I've setup a Max patch to manage the MIDI routing from the XKeys controller.
Not as convenient but it closes the gap.

I've attached it here for anyone interested.

Xkey_router.maxpat
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:15 am  •   #13453
glennv

Nice !!!!

Yeah atm this would be way too much objects and complexity to do this inside controllermate.
I have used midi_patchbay for this sort of stuff if you are on mac and not so fluent on stuff like Max. http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/

I think in general some sort of compound object for catching a sequence of midi messages resulting in an on/off state would be a nice to have.
Now i build large sequential trees of single messages to capture an event , but feels indeed overly complex and sensitive to timing. I am only dealing with relatively simple (midi HUI) messages so workable and stable for now, but would be a nice addition for future development.
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Jump to: