OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Stops working on Sierra
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Stops working on Sierra Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:28 am  •   #13844
Chris D

Every time I start my mac with Sierra 10.12.6 controllermate stops working after one minute or so. I have to open the app to get it working. After that everything is ok. Is there an update coming? Smile

CM version:
Version 4.10.6
CMv4.10.6 Build 9950
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:59 am  •   #13848
Ken
Developer

There isn't anything in the upcoming v4.11 release that addresses this type of issue. This sounds similar to other comments that I have received, but haven't been able to reproduce or find a explanation for.

It might be helpful if you could create a ControllerMate Profile shortly after this happens again. A profile can be generated by running the Help > ControllerMate Profile command in ControllerMate, and then use the button at the bottom of the profile window to save the results to a file.

If you send that file to me, I will take a look to see if there are any items in the logs that may be helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:47 am  •   #13853
glennv

I have been recommending for more then a year to all my customers (and use myself) to stick with 4.10.2 for Sierra and do NOT upgrade. That is the last and most compatible version for Sierra.
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am  •   #13932
rtbarnard

I have been experiencing this since upgrading to Sierra as well, although it's 20 minutes rather than one minute. At least in my case, the issue seems to be that ControllerMate is starting up in demo mode, because I get the following message in the ControllerMate Helper log:
Code:
2018-10-09 11:17:10 -0400 [SourceController.m:780] ControllerMate v4 demo time expired

As with Chris D, this is fixed by opening up the ControllerMate app:
Code:
2018-10-09 11:18:01 -0400 [DaemonController.m:419] ControllerMate Helper resumed registered v4

I've tried reinstalling (removing everything during uninstall) and re-registering the app, but the issue still occurs after each login.
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:22 pm  •   #13937
Chris D

Not only does it stop working, when it sort if works, CM refuses to see my custom keyboard. One time when I boot up CM it sees the keyboard, and I can work with designing macros and so on. Next time CM does not see my keyboard so basically I paid for software that is totally useless. I have know uninstalled it and I now use Karabiner elements instead.

Can I have my money back please? I will not be your beta tester, and I don't know why I paid for beta software. Shame on you Ken.

And you don't even seem that eager to try and fix this crap software. AMAZING.

Evil or Very Mad
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:34 pm  •   #13944
Ken
Developer

ControllerMate v4.11.1 has a fix that might be the root cause of this sort of problem.

The problem was that *some* of ControllerMate's programming would become inactive exactly 20 minutes after the helper starting running, typically this is after a reboot or logging in.

The cause was that ControllerMate's driver is not loaded as early in the boot process as it was previously. In recent versions of macOS, non-Apple drivers now need express approval from the user before they will run. When rebooting, it apparently takes some time to determine which drivers have already been given approval. As a result, ControllerMate's helper actually begins running before the driver is loaded and the programming doesn't have a chance to setup properly. Launching and quitting ControllerMate would reset the helper such that everything worked correctly from that point forward.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:40 pm  •   #13945
Ken
Developer

Chris D wrote:
Not only does it stop working, when it sort if works, CM refuses to see my custom keyboard. One time when I boot up CM it sees the keyboard, and I can work with designing macros and so on. Next time CM does not see my keyboard so basically I paid for software that is totally useless. I have know uninstalled it and I now use Karabiner elements instead.

Can I have my money back please? I will not be your beta tester, and I don't know why I paid for beta software. Shame on you Ken.

And you don't even seem that eager to try and fix this crap software. AMAZING.

Evil or Very Mad

In case you haven't seen this, refunds are not a problem. I really only need to know which purchase to refund.
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:29 am  •   #13949
rtbarnard

ControllerMate v4.11.1 seems to have fixed the problem for me. Thanks!
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 am  •   #13950
Ken
Developer

rtbarnard wrote:
ControllerMate v4.11.1 seems to have fixed the problem for me. Thanks!

Great, thanks for the feedback!
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Jump to: