OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
[HOW TO] Fix Logitech G700/G9/etc button issues
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> ControllerMate Discussion
[HOW TO] Fix Logitech G700/G9/etc button issues Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:10 pm  •   #7627
n00neimp0rtant

UPDATE 03/07/2014: Logitech has removed support for their G-Series (gaming) equipment from SetPoint and moved it all into the separate Logitech Gaming Software product. The LGS product is complete garbage and does not allow genericization of many of the buttons on your mouse; do not install it. The steps below have been updated to reflect an older version of SetPoint. I have just tested the date above and it works; you can genericize all of your buttons again.

If you have a Logitech gaming mouse, there's a good chance it typically uses SetPoint, a Windows program, to program the buttons. Naturally, ControllerMate should see all the buttons, but if you're like me, it may not respond to every button. This is due to some of the buttons taking on their own custom rules (e.g. on G700, Buttons 4 and 5 go browser-back and browser-forward, respectively)

There is a way to solve this and make ALL of the "G" buttons act like real programmable gamepad buttons. The following steps must be done on a Windows machine; I highly recommend using Windows 7 for this.

Quote:
1. Remove any and all Logitech software from the system, including SetPoint and LGS. I cannot stress this enough. They WILL cause you problems.

2. Download and install the old 6.32 version of SetPoint. [Direct From Logitech (x68/x64 "smart" install)] [Mirror (x86 full install)] [Mirror (x64 full install)]

3. Click Start > All Programs > Logitech > G9x, G500 and G700 Gaming Mice > Device Settings

4. Connect your mouse, select it on the menu when it appears, and click OK

5. Click the Edit button in the button mapping section

6. Change every button to "Generic Button," EXCEPT for Left Click, Right Click, Left Scroll, and Right Scroll (unless you want Left/Right Scroll to be reported as generic buttons instead of scrolls)

7. Click Apply, and you're done! ControllerMate will pick up your button presses as it should.

When a button is set to something like "Generic Button," it will treat it like a regular programmable hardware button UNLESS Logitech decided for it to work as something else. (Like I mentioned before, buttons G4 and G5 appear to act like browser navigation buttons under the "Generic button" setting.) Unfortunately for us ControllerMate users, the firmware inside of our gaming mice likes to "eat" the original operation, which is to send the hardware button event to the computer. By setting it to "Generic Button," it disables Logitech's default operations while not entirely disabling the button. If you wanted to actually DISABLE a button, you would pick "Do Nothing" instead of "Generic Button."

I hope this alleviates some frustrations you might be having with your Logitech mice.

I have a small request. Logitech has released a few gaming mice since the update, namely the G700-S. As far as I can tell, it's nothing more than a cosmetic update, but if it is reported as a different device than the G700 (very likely, considering Logitech's tendencies), you may not be able to use it with the older SetPoint v6.32, and therefore, you'll be unable to genericize your buttons to work seamlessly with ControllerMate. If you have any Logitech gaming mice that were first released in 2012 or later, please check to see if v6.32 detects your device and report to me (or in the thread). This could be a big deal when choosing a Logitech gaming mouse.

Last edited by n00neimp0rtant on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:14 pm  •   #8279
Strontium

I don't find the above to be true of the latest (Mar.2013) Logitech software which installs from the download under Windows 7.

Setting buttons to "Unassigned" on the PC causes the buttons to do nothing in CM. ControllerMate doesn't even blink anything when the buttons are pressed, except AC Pan which CM blinks but always gets 0.

Setting buttons to their "Generic" setting on the PC will allow some buttons to work (G4 - G7, AC Pan, and Middle Click), but Generic settings for G8 - G11 are Battery Check, DP-, DP+, and Switch Profile, and the buttons don't register in CM.

In the PC software there is no setting I can see which will allow G8 - G11 to send a simple button signal; only functions, key-presses, and multi-key macros.

Anybody know how to make the G8 - G11 buttons work with CM using latest Logitech software?
Get Steermouse instead Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 am  •   #8385
Timo1

I couldn't get CM to work at all with the Logitech G700. The advice above doesn't work, as Strontium said. Buttons except the basic ones are simply dead to CM.

Steermouse (USD 20) by Japanese Plentycom Systems works perfectly for me with the G700 in 10.8.3. UI is easy and "Mac", too.

They also send me a receipt for the purchase on request...

Sad Confused
Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 am  •   #8392
Ken
Developer

If both ControllerMate and SteerMouse are installed, then SteerMouse's driver will be used for a mouse instead of ControllerMate's (by design).

Regarding receipts, all purchasers of ControllerMate should automatically receive an e-mail receipt separate from the registration information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:51 pm  •   #8689
mgmhunt

Strontium wrote:
I don't find the above to be true of the latest (Mar.2013) Logitech software which installs from the download under Windows 7.

Setting buttons to "Unassigned" on the PC causes the buttons to do nothing in CM. ControllerMate doesn't even blink anything when the buttons are pressed, except AC Pan which CM blinks but always gets 0.

Setting buttons to their "Generic" setting on the PC will allow some buttons to work (G4 - G7, AC Pan, and Middle Click), but Generic settings for G8 - G11 are Battery Check, DP-, DP+, and Switch Profile, and the buttons don't register in CM.

In the PC software there is no setting I can see which will allow G8 - G11 to send a simple button signal; only functions, key-presses, and multi-key macros.

Anybody know how to make the G8 - G11 buttons work with CM using latest Logitech software?

Any news on this?

I have a license for ControllerMate and would rather use this than have to move to SteerMouse. Or know of any indication from Logitech about changes to their software to allow Generic Buttons to be assigned? There is an option with the Logitech Gaming software not to use the onboard memory of the G700, rather system controlled-'per app' programming, wondering whether there was a way that this setting could be used and then bypass Logitech software and direct towards ControllerMate?

Also tried to find an old version of SetPoint that works in Windows 8 64 bit to do the old assigning but can't seem to find one.

Thanks.
Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:52 am  •   #9053
n00neimp0rtant

I just updated the first post. You are right; this info no longer applies to the latest version of SetPoint. I'm trying to find an installer for the last version that does work correctly for Logitech gaming mice (all gaming mouse support has been outright stripped out of the latest SetPoint). I will update this thread/post once I verify it working again.

Basically, I installed LGS because I was playing lots of mouse-heavy Steam games on Windows, but now that I'm back to playing Diablo on Mac, I've realized that LGS wiped my old totally genericized profile. I'm stuck in the same boat as the rest of you now; I'm just trying to find the old version of SetPoint that works correctly.
Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:44 pm  •   #9055
xltrader100

I use a G600 mouse (close kin to the G700) with exactly the same issues mentioned above, but there's a way around it. The "key" thing is that you can't use the Logitech software to "generic" the keys in the mouse profile because they'll just disappear. You have to leave them set to *something*. It doesn't really matter what you leave them set to (as long as you make note of it) because CMate is going to ignore it anyway.

I use Logitech Gaming Software 8.45 installed in Windows running under Parallels on my iMac. It may be possible to do this with the Mac version of the same software, but I'll never know because I'll never again install any Logitech Mac software. It runs fine in Windows.

After setting it up like this, all the mouse buttons work and the only thing not accessible is the back-lighting under the keypad. Most CMate programming works just fine in Windows as long as the mouse remains connected to the Mac side.

There are probably other ways to do it, but this works. I put the procedure in an rtf file to keep the pictures and text together.

http://tinyurl.com/ko2zun7
Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:03 pm  •   #9056
n00neimp0rtant

EUREKA!! I've figured it out!

SetPoint v6.32 (the last version with the red interface) is the one you're going to want. It will let you tell your mouse to report generic buttons as any button you want, allowing you to use it the way ControllerMate intended. I'm so glad I figured this out.

xltrader100: Yikes. If I were you, I'd consider making your life easier by using the generic button setup (unless you enjoy the LGS product, of course).

Ken: since many ControllerMate users use Logitech equipment, and this issue directly affects any ControllerMate users with Logitech gaming mice, would you consider stickying this post so others don't have to go through all these same headaches that I did?

Last edited by n00neimp0rtant on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:22 pm  •   #9060
Ken
Developer

n00neimp0rtant wrote:
Ken: since many ControllerMate users use Logitech equipment, and this issue directly affects any ControllerMate users with Logitech gaming mice, would you consider stickying this post so others don't have to go through all these same headaches that I did?

Done. Thanks for posting this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> ControllerMate Discussion
Jump to: