OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
MIDI Building Block To Send User Specified MIDI message?
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
MIDI Building Block To Send User Specified MIDI message? Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:13 pm  •   #10838
dabo

Ken,

First, thanks for such an astonishingly helpful utility!
It's probably saved me hundreds of hours of computer manipulation time and prevented a career-ending carpal tunnel meltdown.

A building block that sends a user-specified MIDI message would be very useful. Space delimited hexadecimal entry.

Last edited by dabo on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:35 pm  •   #10956
jrchappell

SysEx would be very handy for me as well. I am trying to get transport messages as an input to work. It looks like SysEx is how that message is sent.
Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:09 am  •   #10966
Winfried

Yes, a custom MIDI message building block would by very welcome. I have a control panel with a character display. The text in the display can be set with MIDI messages.
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:20 am  •   #11798
dabo

Two more new threads looking for this sort of functionality...

publicstate May 26
https://www.orderedbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3091

zmix March 27
https://www.orderedbytes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2891

I've tried, with limited success, a method using AppleScript and a utility named SendMidi. It's limited in what it can do and not completely reliable.

Any hope of a ControllerMate solution?
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:11 pm  •   #11807
Ken
Developer

There have also been other comments and discussions about adding raw SysEx messages, and it remains something that I am interested in adding to ControllerMate.

One thing that would be helpful is suggestions for devices or other software that handle SysEx messages. Real-world examples of how these are used would be helpful in the development and testing process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:16 pm  •   #11811
dabo

The idea presented in my original post had only tangential relation to Sysex.

I'm talking about a building block that would send a MIDI command as entered into the block by the user as a hexadecimal string.

If a user wanted to send a Sysex command, this sort of building block would be applicable.

Sysex is of it's nature too complex to implement in any comprehensive way in ControllerMate because every MIDI manufacturer, being at liberty to decide what to put between the Sysex header byte and the end-Sysex byte, uses it differently. Thus, "system exclusive" messages, as the nomenclature suggests, are almost always specific to the piece of gear being targeted by the message. Best to leave it to the user to sort out what the message needs to be. There are MIDI implementation documents for any gear that receives/sends Sysex commands. Users that want to send Sysex can reference these to find the hex strings they would need.
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 pm  •   #11812
Ken
Developer

dabo wrote:
Sysex is of it's nature too complex to implement in any comprehensive way in ControllerMate because every MIDI manufacturer, being at liberty to decide what to put between the Sysex header byte and the end-Sysex byte, uses it differently.

Yup, that's why it isn't in ControllerMate already. Smile

For SysEx, the general idea is to add hexadecimal entry UI to ControllerMate and automatically wrap it between the SysEx start/end bytes. Having just a general-purpose hex editor that leaves the entire message in the hands of the user would probably work fine as well. I can't imagine too many people who don't know how to construct a MIDI message would find much use for the feature.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:55 am  •   #11813
dabo

There are many users who do know how to construct a MIDI hex message. This sort of feature is what is requested in threads by:

public state
zmix
And Winfried's response earlier in this thread expresses a desire for it.

I know of many audio and music professionals that would find this feature useful.
MIDI is also used as a show control protocol for stage lighting, etc.

I would bet that any MIDI user that has gone deep enough to need ControllerMate is enough of a nerd to figure out the hex string they need to send.

Anyway, it was just a thought...
ControllerMate is the center of my workflow automation and gives me a competitive edge in my field.
Thanks
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 am  •   #11814
Ken
Developer

dabo wrote:
ControllerMate is the center of my workflow automation and gives me a competitive edge in my field.

Thanks, that's nice to hear.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> MIDI
Jump to: