OrderedBytes
OrderedBytes User Forum
FAQ FAQ     Search Search     Memberlist Memberlist     Usergroups Usergroups     Register Register
Profile Profile     Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages     Log in Log in
Will mouse scrollwheel support ever return past sierra ?
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Will mouse scrollwheel support ever return past sierra ? Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:51 am  •   #11856
glennv

As title says. Would be great to have this sorely missed feature back to customise scrollwheels .
Now i am stuck with a kensington trackball that i can not reverse the scrollwheel direction other than systemwide change the mouse scrollwheel direction. Sort of sucks Embarassed
Been looking for a hack (any OS level hack is welcome) without much luck.
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:43 am  •   #11857
glennv

p.s. I temporarily created a sort of semi acceptable bypass by for every move in one direction creating a doublesized move in the opposite direction to compensate using a few building blocks. But this is not as smooth the old way and creates a jerky move.
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 pm  •   #11863
Ken
Developer

Scroll wheel compatibility is related to the driver changes in the last couple of macOS versions. It is something that I still have hope to restore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 am  •   #11867
glennv

Tnx Ken, keep us posted. Apple does keep us developers bussy by breaking stuff along the way at every release.... Sad
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:35 pm  •   #12019
microbi

Ken wrote:
It is something that I still have hope to restore.

+1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 am  •   #13454
glennv

The thing that i miss most on OSX12 and higher in controllermate for the scrollwheel is the lack of speed control.
If you move 1 step (L, R up or down) or 10 or 100, its all the same speed. For some controls its workable but for lots its not and a major limitation. Have been looking for some system hack to drive but nothing worked sofar. (os level hack welcome if you know anything). There are one or 2 solutions from memory that offer a set of controls but after testing seem limited to the actual physical device and not working within controllermate scroll object, but does indicate at least that it is technicaly possible to overrule the apple drivers some way.
Still hoping that you will give us control back at some point. Sorely missed....
Its in the name "Control"lermate Wink
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:47 pm  •   #13921
JonnyP

This thread is a little old and quite possibly dead. But…

Have you considered Karabiner? It is not nearly as slick as CM, but don't let its initially simple looking UI fool you; it's powerful!
It can't do everything CM can do, certainly not easily, but it can do some really awesome things that CM can't do. Such as make all modifier keys on any keyboard combine with modifiers and keys on even any other keyboard, and it can make one key (such and Rt Option, for instance) strike two keys as if you pressed them both (such as Control & Option―or aka AltGr).
It can definitely trigger, translate and control mousewheel events in a number of ways. If by some chance, the function you seek doesn't exist, you can create your own config file (using the files that define all the available options―you can either download files from their site or just copy them out of the Application package container} that does exactly what you want. It's actually very straightforward―a matter of copy and paste for the most part, possibly looking up the odd virtual key name.

I'm still on older OS X editions so I can't tell you from personal experience what exactly works and how with the latest system updates.
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:39 am  •   #13924
glennv

Tnx for the tip , will have a look at it. Have no need for keyboard stuff as not using keyboard, but if it can tame and fully control the mouse/scrollwheel again , a feature controllermate sadly lost since sierra, i am interested.

p.s. Still have good hopes that our Jedi Master Ken can give us full control back at some point.
Post new topic Reply to topic Subscribe to this topic    The OrderedBytes Forum -> Support
Jump to: